The diabetes community is wherever diabetics gather to talk about diabetes, their gripes, their insights, the cool things they’re doing with their tech, who they’ve met with T1D, and learn more about this disease.
Getting involved in the diabetes community, whether in-person or online, is a great idea because it helps us all remember that we’re not alone with this disease.
Here are the big ones:
But don’t forget about your local diabetes communities, like diabetes camps (our favorite is Panther Camp!), local endocrine clinics or children’s hospitals, and just local meetups.
Wins & Fails
Jessie’s Win: Jessie went low while at her favorite store, and didn’t feel it until she was in line checking out. She spent money on low snack in line, and then waited in her truck 15 minutes to test again before
Colleen’s Fail: I had hotel eggs for breakfast on my business trip, and my blood sugar went pretty high. That makes me think the eggs had starch or flour in them to fluff them up.
Hack of the Week
This hack is for those of you on low carb. It’s okay to eat carbs sometimes or have a carb-heavy day. The point is not to deprive yourself—the point is to understand what your body needs and not to beat yourself up if you “give in” to a craving. Just remember you will probably feel off afterward and you’ll likely go high.
This week’s spotlight is on all the diabetes communities! I love that there are so many options out there for people to get involved in the diabetes online community—often abbreviated as DOC. I prefer meeting up in real life with people but talking online also helps if you need someone to talk to in a pinch.
Remember, both Jessie and I are available to talk if you need someone to talk to about your T1D!
Question for You!
Are you involved in the diabetes community? If not, why not? Let us know in the comments!
- JDRF TypeOneNation Forum
- Diabetes Peer Support Communities: Powerful Benefits (diaTribe)
- Diabetes Blogs and Forums (diaTribe)
- Support us on Patreon!
- Connect on Facebook!
- Listen directly on Buzzsprout, our podcast host!
Want to Read or Listen to More?
- 25 Truth Bombs to Make You Re-Think Type 1 Diabetes
- The Stress Associated with Type 1 Diabetes
- What is Type 1 Diabetes and Why You Should Care
- What Burnout Looks Like in a Type 1 Diabetic
- World Diabetes Day is About Visibility
- What I’ve Learned from 20 Years at Panther Camp
- 4 Things Type 1 Diabetics Have to Watch Out For
- How to React When Family Members Joke About Diabetes
- This is What a Day as a Type 1 Diabetic Looks Like