Today we’re talking about why you should attend a diabetes camp, even if you’re an adult! Jess and I met at Panther Camp, a week-long summer day camp in Covington, Washington, run by the Diabetes Association of Pierce County. For us, camp is part of who we are as diabetics.
A quick tip: if your diabetic child has siblings around camp age, send them all to diabetes camp! It can be a great bonding experience and also teach your the other kids about the true impact of T1D.
Wins & Fails
Colleen’s Win: I have a good win this week with the timing of my sensor insertion. It’s due to last through my entire business trip, when for the last 2 or 3 trips I’ve had to change my sensor mid-week.
Colleen’s Fail: Tandem started rolling out the Control IQ software update at the end of January, and they sent an email saying that when the update was ready for me, I’d get another email. But I didn’t get another email. I got impatient with waiting and Googled for updates on the rollout, only to find out that I could’ve started the upgrade process by logging into my t:Connect portal at any time.
Hack of the Week
Put a bottle of Purell or a bunch of alcohol swabs in your meter kit. Make it a habit to always clean your finger before testing your blood sugar.
For this episode, we’re totally and 100% shining a spotlight on Panther Day Camp. This camp is so amazing. It’s held every July in Covington, Washington. Those interested in attending can find out more information about camp registration packets start going out THIS MONTH, March 2020! You can request packets between now and May (or June), but the earlier you get on it, the more likely you’ll be able to grab a spot.
I love Panther Camp not only because I’ve met so many amazing people there, but also because it’s a constant source of community, camaraderie, and empowerment for young people with diabetes. This camp was and still is the highlight of every summer for me—and I don’t think I’d be the same diabetic without the strong positive influence of diabetes camp.
Question for You!
Are you involved with any diabetes camps? Why or why not? We’d love to hear your reasons!
- 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
- Find a Camp
- Panther Camp
- Camp Nejeda Survive & Thrive (Adults)
- Camp Nejeda Survive & Thrive Plus 1 (Adults)
- Gales Creek Camp (Adults)
- Camp STIX
- Beyond Type 1 Camp Resources
- ConnecT1D Retreat
- Camp Leo
- Children With Diabetes Friends for Life Conference 2020
- Camp Endres Getaway (Adults)
- Support us on Patreon!
- Connect on Facebook!
- Listen directly on Buzzsprout, our podcast host!
Want to Read or Listen to More?
- 25 Truth Bombs to Make You Re-Think Type 1 Diabetes
- The Stress Associated with Type 1 Diabetes
- What is Type 1 Diabetes and Why You Should Care
- What Burnout Looks Like in a Type 1 Diabetic
- World Diabetes Day is About Visibility
- What I’ve Learned from 20 Years at Panther Camp
- 4 Things Type 1 Diabetics Have to Watch Out For
- How to React When Family Members Joke About Diabetes
- This is What a Day as a Type 1 Diabetic Looks Like