Cinnamon, okra water, bitter gourd, even the keto diet... What do these things have in common? They're all bogus cures for type 1 diabetes.
In this episode, Jessie and I talk about many of the different bogus cures people have peddled for the 'beetus.
Among them, even, is witchcraft.
Monseigneur Claude Frollo, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Type 1 diabetes has no cure. It's only treatable with insulin.
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: My A1c is 5.3%! Another win on my quest to stay below 5.5%.
Jessie's Fail: With divorced parents, it's easy to forget supplies at different parents' houses. Jessie forgot the charger to her new Guardian sensor, and it died while she was at her Mom's house. She had to go without for a couple of days.
Hack or Tip of the Week
When someone tells you that you can cure your diabetes naturally, just smile and move on. If you’re up for arguing, feel free, but nowadays plenty of people get set in their ways and aren’t open to hearing a differing opinion. You’ll cause yourself more annoyance by trying to tell them they’re wrong, or by trying to convince them that you’re right.
The spotlight this week is on Lifescan OneTouch.
LifeScan’s OneTouch online store has three monthly subscription options to help you receive individual coaching services and diabetes supplies right at home. The prices range from $24.99 to $48.99 per month, and services can include test strips and lancets as well as access to unlimited coaching.
Each of the subscriptions can be purchased with funds from a Health Savings Account or a Flexible Spending Account—this removes the hassle of getting reimbursed for diabetes care.
This is a great option for people who don’t have access to continuous glucose monitors.
Question for You!
What’s the craziest thing someone has told you will cure your diabetes? Is it one of the things we mentioned in this episode? Something different? Let us know in the comments or send us an email.
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- Episode 61: Functional Medicine, with Becky Blodgett
- Episode 67: High Intensity Sports, with Seth Helbling
- diaTribe | New OneTouch Subscriptions Bring Diabetes Supplies and Coaching to Your Door
- OneTouch | OneTouch® Subscribe + Coach
- Diabetes.co.uk | Fake Diabetes Cures
- Livescience | This Man Says a 'Rare Gene' Cured His Type 1 Diabetes. Experts Are Skeptical.
- Livescience | Why People Fake Illness
- ASweetLife | Sorry, But These Things Will Not Cure Diabetes
- DiaPointMe | Diabetes Myths: News, Not Quite Newsworthy, and False
- Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego | Diabetes: What’s True and False?
- FDA | Beware of Illegally Marketed Diabetes Treatments
- Insulin Nation | 5 Reasons You Should Never Share Fake Diabetes Cures
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!