Eating low carb is the #2 thing after insulin that saves my life every day, and this episode covers exactly why. Please listen all the way through.
As diabetics and as Americans, we’ve been lied to about what it means to eat a healthy diet.
I firmly believe low-carb is the best way of eating for diabetics, but you HAVE to experiment for yourself to find out what "low carb" actually means in YOUR LIFE.
Unfortunately, the big names in diabetes advocacy still promote high-carb or at least medium-carb diets. Many, many endocrinologists and doctors are telling their type 1 (and type 2) patients that they can eat anything they want… as long as they give insulin for it.
This is a mindset we want to change. You need to do your own research and experimentation instead of blindly following the recommendations of a government entity or big name in diabetes. (Or even blindly listening to us! Go do your research!)
Wins & Fails
Colleen’s Win: I had near-perfect blood sugars on a recent hike! I also got A1c results back and I’m proud to say that at 5.8%, my A1c has literally never been lower!
Jessie’s Fail: In a repeat fail, Jessie went to bed with a low reservoir and woke up with a high blood sugar.
Hack of the Week
Directly related the content of this episode: eat a low-carb diet! It’s the best way I’ve found to naturally lower blood sugars, and I use half the insulin I used to.
Diabetes in the News
Using single-cell analysis of immune cells involved in the onset of disease, a new study provides ample evidence to warrant a next phase of research with patients.
“By using single-cell technologies to study the prediabetic phase of disease, we have been able to mechanistically link specific anti-insulin T cells with the autoimmune response seen in type 1 diabetes.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Reddit Keto sub
- Low-Carb Diet Information
- ADA video on food choices for diabetics
- Bright Spots and Landmines (book by Adam Brown)
- “Diabetics Beware: A.D.A. Guidelines will Make Your Diabetes WORSE,” video by Ken Berry, M.D.
- Low-carbohydrate diet in type 1 diabetes, long-term improvement and adherence: A clinical audit
- Ken Berry: Lies My Doctor Told Me (book)
- Keto Chow—Ultralow-carb meal replacement shakes that taste amazing!
Community & Social
- Join us in the Half-Dead Pancreas Club, our private Discord community for people with T1D.
- Follow us on Instagram @thisistype1pod, @jj_crystalkat, & @type1ravenclaw
- Follow us on Facebook