Why isn't type 1 diabetes curable right now? In this episode, we talk about recent research for a cure to type 1 diabetes.
We have been told for decades that the cure for type 1 diabetes is right around the corner. After a while it gets old, but research for a cure is still ongoing and researchers are making amazing progress.
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: I adjusted my correction factors for the afternoon and started turning on my pump’s exercise mode to help prevent lows after going on a walk after work.
Jessie's Fail: The belly button ring Jessie got for her 18th birthday fell out after not healing correctly.
Hack or Tip of the Week
As we get into warmer weather towards late spring and early summer, remember to keep your supplies with you when you go out.
The spotlight this week is on Dr. Denise Faustman, director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Immunobiology Laboratory.
She’s currently conducting the BCG Human Clinical Trial Program to investigate if the BCG vaccine could be a treatment for established type 1 diabetes.
Much cure research focuses on reversing or halting newly diagnosed cases, but a vast majority of type 1 diabetes is established—meaning people have had it for years.
Whatever the outcome, it will be interesting to watch what comes of her research.
Question for You!
When do you think we’ll see a cure for type 1 diabetes? In your lifetime? In the next 100 years? We’d love to hear your guesses in the comments.
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- Episode 44: The Honeymoon Period
- Natural Cures for Type 1 Diabetes
- Immunotherapy drug delays onset of Type 1 diabetes in at-risk group
- First immune-evading cells created to treat type 1 diabetes
- In Sickness & In Health: Immunology & Immunotherapy 101
- Researchers discover potential cure for type 1 diabetes
- Nature.com Research
- Type 1 diabetes cured in mice using stem cells
- JDRF Cure research for type 1 diabetes
- Regeneration research and type 1 diabetes
- Immune Therapies
- Beta Cell Regeneration
- Beta Cell Replacement
- Curing T1D
- How Immunotherapy Could Stop and Prevent Type 1 Diabetes
- Healthline: Dr. Faustman's Controversial Diabetes Cure Research Continues
- NIH/NIDDK Diabetes Research Center
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!