In this episode we talk about what A1c and time-in-range are, why they're important, what they mean, and their origins.
Time-in-range is actually a relatively recent addition to the official standards of care.
Here's a table showing the equivalence between an A1c value and an estimated average glucose:
This is how Time-in-Range breaks down for three different A1c trends:
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: I stayed on my food plan all week!
Jessie's Fail: She didn't check how much insulin was in her pump on Halloween, and then had to deal with changing her set late at night.
Wondering what to do when a kid passes out playing sports? Don't assume you should give them sugar! They may be concussed, have high blood sugar, be dehydrated, or something else.
Type up a Diabetic Plan for your kid to carry with them and/or give to the coach. This will direct the responsible adult in what to do if your T1D child passes out.
The spotlight this week is on de-stigmatizing food choices. I think the most common question that type 1 diabetics face—actually, all diabetics—is “can you eat that?”
I’ve certainly gotten this question, sometimes from family members. It doesn’t bother me as much anymore, but for those people who have tenuous relationships with food or their diabetes, this question is evidence that diabetes, of either type, is stigmatized by our food choices.
This Episode is Sponsored by NuGo Slim
In honor of Diabetes Awareness Month, this episode is sponsored by NuGo Slim. NuGo Slim specializes in low-glycemic index ingredients.
- Raspberry Truffle
- Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Brownie Crunch
- Toasted Coconut
- Roasted Peanut
- Chocolate Mint
To try NuGo Slim, text TYPE1 to 28398 for 20% off your first order, or to grab a sample pack for just $7 shipped.
You can also visit trynugo.com.
Thank you, NuGo, for sponsoring us for November 2020!
Question for You!
How are your A1c and time-in-range stats? Do you need help improving them?
Links & Resources
- diaTribe: 2019: A Year of Time in Range
- diaTribe: Time in Range
- American Diabetes Association: eAG/A1C Conversion Calculator
- Joslin Diabetes: Conversion Table for Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Diabetes Clan: Average Blood Sugar from HBA1C Calculator
- diaTribe: Can You Eat That? How One Simple Question Stigmatizes People with Diabetes
- Diabetes Forecast: Meet Your A1c
- Healthline: Time in Range (TIR): New Gold Standard for Diabetes Blood Sugar Control?
- CDC: All About Your A1c
- Healthline: What is the A1c Test?
- diaTribe: Dexcom Clarity App Updates: Time-in-Range Goals, “Best Day,” and Estimated A1C
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!