Jessie & I share our experiences with artificial sweeteners. Learn about them, sugar substitutes, and how they affect people with T1D.
Artificial sweeteners have been around for decades as a so-called healthy alternative to real sugar when you want to sweeten things, whether in baking or your coffee or anything in between.
In this episode we talk about artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohols, and some non-nutritive sugar substitutes.
Right now I'm testing Bocha Sweet (affiliate link).
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: I had around a 6-hour streak of unicorns! A unicorn is when your blood sugar is 100 mg/dL exactly! 🦄
Jessie's Fail: Her truck broke down in the middle of a construction zone. Not necessarily a diabetes fail, but a life fail. Her clutch overheated. 😶
Hack of the Week
We had daylight savings switch at the beginning of November, and when we do that we have to remember to switch our insulin pumps and CGMs. So, if you haven’t gotten around to changing your clocks, or your numbers are off and you can’t figure out why, you may have forgotten to fall back an hour on your medical devices. It’s important to do this because basal rates are determined by time.
Nathan wants to raise awareness of what diabetics go through, whether that be through his own stories or through stories others share on his site. He also hopes to guide people to the resources they need or want and to create a community that can help them thrive.
Question for You!
What’s your experience with artificial sweeteners? What are your favorites? Which ones affect your blood sugars the most?
Links & Resources
- FDA: Additional Information about High-Intensity Sweeteners Permitted for Use in Food in the United States
- Mayo Clinic: Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes
- Boston Globe: Sweetener used in some peanut butter brands could be deadly for your dog
- Healthline: The Best Sugar Substitutes for People with Diabetes
- Healthline: Artificial Sweeteners: Good or Bad?
- Allulose.org: What is Allulose?
- Whole Body Living: Guide: Sugar Substitutes That Won't Kill You
- MedicineNet: Artificial Sweeteners Side Effects and Chart
- Episode 59: Elimination Diets
- Keto Oreo Chaffles by SeriousKeto
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!