Have you ever thought about the discovery of insulin? How did we end up with this miracle drug? In this episode, we share that story 99 years and one day after the first use of insulin to treat diabetes.
It's a wild ride of early science, involving dogs and sketchy methods. Ultimately, it paved the way to treating diabetes. It's no longer a death sentence! The discovery of insulin has truly changed the world.
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: Going on walks recently hasn't plummeted my blood sugar!
Jessie's Fail: Jessie found out she has to stop wearing her infusion site on her right thigh. The insulin isn't absorbing there, so she's changing it up for a bit.
Hack or Tip of the Week
When drinking alcohol, pay attention to your blood sugars for the next 24 hours. You could have unexpected lows.
Shape & Foster is Sponsoring January's Episodes!
Shape & Foster is a lifestyle development app that provides monthly actionable insight from six experts in mental health, financial planning, nutrition, fitness, yoga, and a life coach.
It's a one-stop-shop for getting actionable strategies to cohesively improve each part of your life.
Visit inspiredforward.com/shapeandfoster for your free 14-day trial.
Question for You!
Did you know the history of insulin? What surprised you most about the research into this life-saving hormone?
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- The Discovery of Insulin, by Michael Bliss (affiliate link)
- Breakthrough, by Thea Cooper (affiliate link)
- ADA | The History of a Wonderful Thing we Call Insulin
- National Library of Medicine | The Story of Insulin Discovery
- Medical News Today | Who Discovered Insulin?
- The University of Toronto | Relation of the Islets of Langerhans to diabetes with special reference to cases of pancreatic lithiasis
- Banting House | Insulin Patent Sold for $1
- BeyondType1 | The Patient's Bottom Line: Human Insulin is Not the Answer
- Episode 6: Different Types of Insulin
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!