Today we’re talking about how to read food nutrition labels. Jessie and I grew up doing this at diabetes camp, so this is second nature to us, but plenty of people don't know what the nutrition labels actually mean.
Understanding the different parts of the food label means you're better prepared for how to correct for it. If you don't know how to read the nutrition label, you're going into your food situations completely blind.
Wins & Fails
Colleen's Win: I’ve been on a nice streak of planning all my food 24 hours in advance and sticking to it. I like being able to plan out all my food for the week ahead and know exactly what my macros will be and take all the in-the-moment decisions out of the equation.
Jessie's Fail: She got a nail stuck in her truck tire, but it didn't go flat. They got it fixed without any major problems. Also, her next endocrinologist appointment will be her last with her pediatric endo! 😥
Hack or Tip of the Week
If you're buying packaged foods, try to only buy products that have 5 or fewer ingredients. Sugar should not be one of the top 3 ingredients. Products with fewer ingredients in them are cleaner, and healthier for you.
If you know how to read nutrition labels, this will be easy to do.
The spotlight this week is on Dr. Ken Berry, a Board Certified Family Physician and Fellow in The American Academy of Family Physicians. He shows you how you can use your diet and your lifestyle to get the health you want. He has videos on YouTube about the low-carb/ketogenic/carnivore diets, intermittent fasting, thyroid health, hormone optimization and much more. He’s declared all-out war on the epidemics of hyperinsulinemia, type 2 diabetes and obesity currently hurting our world, and hurting your health.
Dr. Berry used to be the fat doctor who told his patients they need to lose weight. He’s been making a lot of posts recently on Facebook about the food labels on popular cereals and exactly why the big processed food companies are not making food that is in your health’s best interest.
Question for You!
Do you know how to read food labels? When did you first learn how to read them?
Links & Resources
- Support the blog & podcast by buying us a coffee through Ko-fi!
- Follow on Facebook
- Episode 59: Elimination Diets
- Episode 68: Artificial Sweeteners
- Food Labeling: Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels
- Labeling - Food Manufacturers, Wholesalers, and Warehouses
- Are the Calorie Counts on Food Labels Accurate?
- Secret Sugars: The 56 Different Names for Sugar (virtahealth.com)
- Food Labels 101: Understanding the Nutrition Facts Label
- Reading Food Labels | National Institute on Aging
- What Are Trans Fats, and Are They Bad for You?
- CalorieKing: Food Nutrition Facts and Free Calorie Counter
Our music is by Joseph McDade. Check out his website here!